Achieving national prosperity through development of the plantation industry.
To enhance the productivity, profitability and sustainability of the plantation industry through economically, socially and environmentally estabilished plantation sector.
Key Expectations of the Ministry
Duties and Functions assigned to the Ministry as per the Gazette Extraordinary No.1933/13 dated 21st September 2015
- Provision of incentives and other facilities to increase yield of plantation crops.
- Enhance international competitiveness for productivity in the plantation industry.
- Adoption of necessary measures to promote value addition industries based on plantation crops.
- Issuance of licences related to tea and rubber.
- Issuance of permits for export of tea.
- Issuance of licences related to fragmentation of tea, rubber and coconut estates, and their control.
- Optimum utilization of plantation lands through multiple cropping and integrated farming, thereby increasing production and employment.
- Matters relating to the development, promotion and research activities of tea, rubber and coconut industries.
- Introduction of structural changes in respect of enterprises assigned to the Ministry.
Strategic Development Objectives of the Ministry
- Increase of foreign exchange earnings.
- Retaining the cost of production at a low level.
- Enhancement of the profitability of the tea small holders and the Plantation Companies.
- Uplifting the living standard of the Plantation Community.
- Supply of high quality products to the consumers.
- Sustainable development through the environment conservation.
Performance Indicators of the Ministry
Six performance indicators have been identified with the purpose of achieving medium term development objectives of the Ministry.
- The amount of foreign exchange earnings from tea and rubber.
- Productivity (Increase in the yield per a land unit).
- Replanting rate of tea and rubber lands.
- Extent under new planting.
- Quantity and value of value added products.
- Low production cost as against the selling price.